top of page

Temporary Protected Status

You may be wondering “can I stay in America if there is a natural disaster or political unrest in my country?” Natural disasters and political strife are two reasons persons are forced to seek refuge outside of the countries in which they normally reside.

The U.S. has used a program called Temporary Protected Status (TPS) since 1990, to grant humanitarian relief to persons who are in the U.S. and unable to return home.

The U.S. Homeland Security Secretary can designate a country for inclusion in the TPS program, when there is “ongoing armed conflict” that creates unsafe conditions for returning nationals; there has been an earthquake, flood, drought, epidemic, or other environmental disaster that makes the state temporarily unable to accept the return of its nationals and the state has requested TPS designation; or “extraordinary and temporary” conditions in a state prevent its nationals from returning safely.

In 2012, individuals in the U.S. from eight countries, were granted the opportunity to make an initial application for TPS or to re-register for the program.

Call us for additional information at 954-714-8123 in our office in Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood or West Palm Beach.

Sherna Spencer is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.


Recent Posts

Share your comment

4500 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33313 USA

Contact us for Consulatation Tel: 954.714.8123



bottom of page